Thread: Managing Remote SQL Servers

tcronin Guest

Managing Remote SQL Servers

This is a question more for experiences or approaches to a solution. I will be managing some SQL Servers running our application/database at remote sites. Depending on the installation I might or might not have access to the SQL Box and supporting servers directly. I will however be responsible for the database servers running correctly. I might be able to dial in(using pcanywhere) to a stand-alone pc and should be able to attach the the database server. I will have SQL Mail setup (the clients do have Exchange) and should be able to point my alerts to my mail address. My question is, in this type of scenario what approach have people taken to adminstering SQL Boxes where they might not have real-time or direct access to?
    Thanks

David Guest

Managing Remote SQL Servers (reply)

Based on the types of connections you are dealing with, I can't think of anything more than what you are currently doing. You may want to take some proactive approaches in setting up disk space monitoring procedures (found here at swynk) to notify you when there is unexpected growth, etc. but beyond that it sounds like you are doing all you can. Feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss further. Not sure that I can help but, compare experiences.

David

------------
    tcronin at 3/5/01 5:04:59 PM

This is a question more for experiences or approaches to a solution. I will be managing some SQL Servers running our application/database at remote sites. Depending on the installation I might or might not have access to the SQL Box and supporting servers directly. I will however be responsible for the database servers running correctly. I might be able to dial in(using pcanywhere) to a stand-alone pc and should be able to attach the the database server. I will have SQL Mail setup (the clients do have Exchange) and should be able to point my alerts to my mail address. My question is, in this type of scenario what approach have people taken to adminstering SQL Boxes where they might not have real-time or direct access to?
    Thanks

liju Guest

Managing Remote SQL Servers (reply)

Have you considered Terminal Services instead of PC Anywhere? I have never used PC Anywhere but find Terminal Services really good.
    SQL Profiler does not run with Terminal Services - there is a work around for that posted at Swynk

Regds
    Liju

------------
    David at 3/6/01 11:48:48 AM

Based on the types of connections you are dealing with, I can't think of anything more than what you are currently doing. You may want to take some proactive approaches in setting up disk space monitoring procedures (found here at swynk) to notify you when there is unexpected growth, etc. but beyond that it sounds like you are doing all you can. Feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss further. Not sure that I can help but, compare experiences.

David

------------
    tcronin at 3/5/01 5:04:59 PM

Thanks