Thread: SQL 2000 Encryption

Troy Guest

SQL 2000 Encryption

Hello all,

I'm have set up sql 2000 in an active/passive cluster setup and I am looking to encrypt the data transfer from my backend DMZ (where the sql boxes reside) to the frontend dmz web servers.

I know there is a "check box" option but it says I need an encyption key to enrypted the data. From what I understand Certificate server 1.0 is not very good and the certificate services in Win2k requires ADS.

Is there another alternative?

Thanks,

Troy

Kurt Guest

SQL 2000 Encryption (reply)

Troy,
    You can use the multiprotocol network library to connect the active and passive servers. There is an option when you set it up to enable encryption.
    I think you'd need to configure this for both servers. There may be another way too, Win2K allows for encryption using SSL. I'm not sure how this will impact performance. You might want to test it....

Kurt

------------
    Troy at 6/12/01 9:28:03 AM

Hello all,

I'm have set up sql 2000 in an active/passive cluster setup and I am looking to encrypt the data transfer from my backend DMZ (where the sql boxes reside) to the frontend dmz web servers.

I know there is a "check box" option but it says I need an encyption key to enrypted the data. From what I understand Certificate server 1.0 is not very good and the certificate services in Win2k requires ADS.

Is there another alternative?

Thanks,

Troy