Thread: HELP: newbie install. can't register server.

patrick Guest

HELP: newbie install. can't register server.

I have installed SQL6.5 on my NT4.0 server.
    I go into the enterprise manager. There are currently no registered servers. I try to add a server under the SQL 6.5 group and get the following message:

"Unable to connect to Server(reason [SQL Server Login failed]. Register Anyway?"

The service is running. I can login through the command prompt, but when I type select @@servername it comes back as NULL.
    I have tried both my NT SA account as well as the SQLExecutiveCmdExec account. TIA - pwb

HELP: newbie install. can't register server. (reply)

On 12/19/98 2:07:24 PM, patrick wrote:
    > I have installed SQL6.5 on my NT4.0 server.
    I go into the enterprise
    > manager. There are currently no registered servers. I try to add a server
    > under the SQL 6.5 group and get the following message:

"Unable to
    > connect to Server(reason [SQL Server Login failed]. Register
    > Anyway?"

The service is running. I can login through the command
    > prompt, but when I type select @@servername it comes back as NULL.
    I have
    > tried both my NT SA account as well as the SQLExecutiveCmdExec account. TIA - pwb

Hi,

Follow these steps to Register the Server :

The first time you start the Enterprise Manager, you are prompted to register a server. When you
    register a server, you provide the Enterprise Manager with a logical name and user login with which to
    connect to the SQL Server database engine.

* From the Register Server dialog box, enter the name of the server you want to register.

* Select the type of login to use: trusted or standard. Trusted security offers the advantage of
    having to maintain only a Windows NT login account and password. With standard security,
    you must maintain a network account as well as a SQL Server account and password.

* If using standard security, enter the login ID and password.

NOTE: To use trusted security, SQL Server must be installed with Windows NT integrated
    security or mixed security.

* Select a server group or create a new server group.

* Click the Register button to register the server with the Enterprise Manager.

Hope this solves the problem.

Bi

Sreedhar