Thread: Basic Problem - Server Name

Andrew Peacock Guest

Basic Problem - Server Name

Hi,
    I'm new to SQL server so I hope somebody is willing to lend a hand...

I installed the server without a problem, and the service is showing as running OK.

However, when I open SQL enterprise manager, no server names can be selected.

But, when i go in via DOS and enter

SELECT @@SERVERNAME
    GO

I get the correct name back - "andrewp"

I don't understand how I cannot connect to the server via Enterprise Manager...

I'm running on NT4.0 Workstation, SQL server 6.5, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any help you can give,
    Andy

Craig Guest

Basic Problem - Server Name (reply)

It won't show for you, type it in.

Server, register server, servername type in "andrewp", standard connection, sa userid, password is blank. Hit register server. If your service is up, you will connect.......Craig

------------
    Andrew Peacock at 5/18/99 6:52:02 AM

Hi,

I installed the server without a problem, and the service is showing as running OK.

SELECT @@SERVERNAME
    GO

Andy

Andrew Peacock Guest

Basic Problem - Server Name (reply)

Craig,

I'm sure I tried that last night, although I am not sure about the password part. I'll give it a go tonight. Thanks for you help and time.

Rgds,
    Andy

------------
    Craig at 5/18/99 7:23:27 AM

It won't show for you, type it in.

Server, register server, servername type in "andrewp", standard connection, sa userid, password is blank. Hit register server. If your service is up, you will connect.......Craig

------------
    Andrew Peacock at 5/18/99 6:52:02 AM

Hi,

SELECT @@SERVERNAME
    GO

Andy