Thread: BCP in system tables

Ana Shahinian Guest

BCP in system tables

Hello,

I have succesffuly BCP out system tables(sysdatabases, sysdevices, syslogins, and sysusages). Now I want to BCP those same tables IN to create devices, databases and so on using the BCP utility. I run the same command used to BCP out and only changes the OUT to IN but it did not work.
    Can somebody whose done this before tell me how to do it.

Many Many thanks,

Ana.

Andreas Bartels Guest

BCP in system tables (reply)

Hi Ana,

before I give you any hints on how to BCP in data into system tables I have to tell you that it's very dangerous to do that at all. This is because you could damage your whole database server if there are any errors in your data.

There is a server option to change data in system tables which defaults to "not allowed". So, the first thing you have to do is change this option. The next thing you should check is if there are any tables that contain identity columns. If so you have to use a special option to BCP in. Check online books on flags for BCP.

Hope this helps. With regards

Andreas

------------
    Ana Shahinian at 4/15/99 4:47:11 PM

Hello,

I have succesffuly BCP out system tables(sysdatabases, sysdevices, syslogins, and sysusages). Now I want to BCP those same tables IN to create devices, databases and so on using the BCP utility. I run the same command used to BCP out and only changes the OUT to IN but it did not work.
    Can somebody whose done this before tell me how to do it.

Many Many thanks,

Ana.