Thread: Pentium Pro vs Pentium II Processors

Will Kenny Guest

Pentium Pro vs Pentium II Processors

A Visual C++ realtime system {NT4 (sp3) and SQL 6.5 (no sp)} on pentium pro machines perform as expected, when the Pentium Pro workstations were replaced with Pentium II machines, a significant performance impact was observed. From a cold-boot of the system (1 server (Pentium Pro HP NetServer, 2 workstations (Dell PEDGE2300) and 5 PCs) the response time from SQL Server was dramatically reduced (on 1 workstation) after running a volume test. Example, when the problem was found: a simple query run from the server would take milliseconds and the same query run from the workstation took 20 seconds to complete.

I would very much appreciate any insight.

Thanks in advance.

Don Romano Guest

Pentium Pro vs Pentium II Processors (reply)

On 9/22/98 8:22:57 AM, Will Kenny wrote:
    > A Visual C++ realtime system {NT4 (sp3) and SQL 6.5 (no sp)} on pentium pro
    > machines perform as expected, when the Pentium Pro workstations were
    > replaced with Pentium II machines, a significant performance impact was
    > observed. From a cold-boot of the system (1 server (Pentium Pro HP
    > NetServer, 2 workstations (Dell PEDGE2300) and 5 PCs) the response time
    > from SQL Server was dramatically reduced (on 1 workstation) after running a
    > volume test. Example, when the problem was found: a simple query run from
    > the server would take milliseconds and the same query run from the
    > workstation took 20 seconds to complete.

I would very much appreciate
    > any insight.

Thanks in advance.

Don Romano Guest

Pentium Pro vs Pentium II Processors (reply)

Sorry about the empty last note. Note to webmaster... either disable the `Submit Post Reply` button when you press Enter or allow us to delete and edit our own posted notes... or at least provide a preview before actually posting them to avoid my type of mess up. :-)

Back to the question... I am not a hardware person so I don`t know how the chip difference would effect things. One thing I would do is update your client utilities to SP4 for SQL Server just to see if that fixes things up.

Also... has your actual network connection speed decreased after upgrading the machines? i.e. maybe the difference is not with SQL Server but with the network connectivity. I`m assuming the workstations have the same amount of RAM, etc. The hint that I see is the query runs quickly on the server but now has really been slowed to the client when it used to be OK. Assuming nothing else has changed I`d check the network speed, network card setup, etc.

Don

On 9/22/98 8:22:57 AM, Will Kenny wrote:
    > A Visual C++ realtime system {NT4 (sp3) and SQL 6.5 (no sp)} on pentium pro
    > machines perform as expected, when the Pentium Pro workstations were
    > replaced with Pentium II machines, a significant performance impact was
    > observed. From a cold-boot of the system (1 server (Pentium Pro HP
    > NetServer, 2 workstations (Dell PEDGE2300) and 5 PCs) the response time
    > from SQL Server was dramatically reduced (on 1 workstation) after running a
    > volume test. Example, when the problem was found: a simple query run from
    > the server would take milliseconds and the same query run from the
    > workstation took 20 seconds to complete.

I would very much appreciate
    > any insight.

Thanks in advance.