Thread: Create Windows menu toolbar in Access 2007

Create Windows menu toolbar in Access 2007

Hi, I'm building some forms for an Access 2007 database and need to try and find a way of having all these forms called from the same environment, so in other words have a top menu as you would in Word or Excel or another standard Windows / Office application, so you could have File -> Print, Exit, or Edit -> Copy, Cut, Paste, or Clients -> Add New, Amend and so on.

There doesn't seem to be a way I can do this in Access 2007, is this true?

I don't want to have lots of completely independant forms in my application, ideally they should all exist and be placed in the same environment so that all the user has to do is click the icon to launch the application, and do everything they need to do from within that, using the navigation menu at the top.

I have always used tabs on a form as my "menu." That way, the user seems to always have everything right in front of them, because they can always see "all" the tabs. I would have one form with the initial level of tabs on it, and one sub-form on that form. Then, depending on what tab was clicked, I would load that form into the sub-form. As you will be able to see from the attached partical screen print, my "Jobs" tab had 5 sub-tabs in it. This system was a job tracking, invoicing, and job costing system for a roofing company.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by speckytwat View Post
    Hi, I'm building some forms for an Access 2007 database and need to try and find a way of having all these forms called from the same environment, so in other words have a top menu as you would in Word or Excel or another standard Windows / Office application, so you could have File -> Print, Exit, or Edit -> Copy, Cut, Paste, or Clients -> Add New, Amend and so on.
    In Office 2007 most apps have the new ribbon not a menu bar at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by speckytwat View Post
    There doesn't seem to be a way I can do this in Access 2007, is this true?
    No.

You can modify the Ribbon for Office 2007 apps.

See:
    Access Ribbon Customizer
    This tool will help you to customize your Database with Ribbons without writing a single line of XML code, this application will write all the code that is needed for you.

and

Office Ribbon - Fluent Interface
    Last edited by HiTechCoach; 04-02-2011 at 01:53 AM.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTech Coach
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Office Programming 25+ years as a Software Developer specializing in:
    Business Process Management
    Accounting/Inventory Control
    Customer Relations Management (CRM)
    Electronic Data Interchange (EDI)

Thanks for the info. The ribbon stuff looks a bit complex for the moment, but useful in case I "update" the package later on.

The Ribbon is not easy to update. You can use Notepad if you understand XML. Otherwise using one of the ribbon tools really helps.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTech Coach
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Office Programming 25+ years as a Software Developer specializing in:
    Business Process Management
    Accounting/Inventory Control
    Customer Relations Management (CRM)
    Electronic Data Interchange (EDI)