Thread: New Database

New Database

Hello,

New to the forums here. I just got Access 2010 and using it to work on a small database to help me keep track of some oil field data. Would like some input if you guys don't mind.

I have a table called WellData, by itself it only has an autonumber field for a unique primary key and a field called WellID for the well number. The well number is unique to the lease, but another lease could have a well with the same number. It has two other fields, one is the LeaseName which is a drop down box that allows me to select which Lease from the LeaseData table that the well belongs to. And a checkbox that allows me to check which chemicals are used at that well which gets the data from a table called ChemicalData.

LeaseData uses autonumber for primary key, has two fields, Lease Operator and Lease Name.

ChemicalData uses autonumber as pk as well, has two fields called Chemical Name/Chemical Purpose respectively.

I'm sorry if that's a lot, but my first question is:

I need to keep track of each time a well fails, the date it fails, why it failed(bacteria corrosion, iron oxide corrosion, etc...) and I need to a monthly report on that.

What would be the best way of doing this?

Welcome fellow Okie!

Quote Originally Posted by Obsolete View Post
    Hello,

New to the forums here. I just got Access 2010 and using it to work on a small database to help me keep track of some oil field data. Would like some input if you guys don't mind.
    I have been doing Oil and Gas related software stuff for a while (sine 1996).

What you want should be possible with Access.

The key to success of any database is to start by getting the table structures correct or otherwise known as properly normalized.

I have a table called WellData, by itself it only has an autonumber field for a unique primary key and a field called WellID for the well number. The well number is unique to the lease, but another lease could have a well with the same number. It has two other fields, one is the LeaseName which is a drop down box that allows me to select which Lease from the LeaseData table that the well belongs to.
    And a checkbox that allows me to check which chemicals are used at that well which gets the data from a table called ChemicalData.
    Check boxes to select data is almost alwas a sign of a less than idea design.

This should be handled in a child or sub table with one record per chemical. Usually a combo box is would be used to select the chemical

LeaseData uses autonumber for primary key, has two fields, Lease Operator and Lease Name.

ChemicalData uses autonumber as pk as well, has two fields called Chemical Name/Chemical Purpose respectively.

I'm sorry if that's a lot, but my first question is:

I need to keep track of each time a well fails, the date it fails, why it failed(bacteria corrosion, iron oxide corrosion, etc...) and I need to a monthly report on that.

What would be the best way of doing this?
    To keep track of each well failure you will need a transaction or history table that is related to the well.

Would it be possible for you to attached a sample copy of your database with any confidential data removed?
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTech Coach
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Office Programming 25+ years as a Software Developer specializing in:
    Business Process Management
    Accounting/Inventory Control
    Customer Relations Management (CRM)
    Electronic Data Interchange (EDI)