Thread: Linking Sql Table to Access97

Kris Robinett Guest

Linking Sql Table to Access97

I am trying to link a table from a MS SQL database into access97 thru ODBC. When I do this, I get the message "Can't define field more than once." When I look at the table in SQL, there are no duplicate field names, however, when I bring the table in to do a Crystal Report, I see there are 2 fields that have duplicate field names 6 times. (Evidently Crystal doesn't care about this as Access does.) Any clues on what is happening?

Ernie Guest

Linking Sql Table to Access97 (reply)

Hi Kris,
    Don't know if this will help but.............
    I was exporting some access tables to dBaseIV and got the same error message. It was due to
    the allowable length of the field names. It was only reading the first (8?) character so that
    abcdefgh1and abcdefgh2 were interpreted as being the same. I had to alter the field names to
    fix the problem. Maybe you have longer field names in SQL than Access will allow.

------------
    Kris Robinett at 5/11/99 2:29:20 PM

I am trying to link a table from a MS SQL database into access97 thru ODBC. When I do this, I get the message "Can't define field more than once." When I look at the table in SQL, there are no duplicate field names, however, when I bring the table in to do a Crystal Report, I see there are 2 fields that have duplicate field names 6 times. (Evidently Crystal doesn't care about this as Access does.) Any clues on what is happening?

Still no luck

I'm trying to export to DBF and getting the same error message. I have no duplicate field names in my table, even considering the 8-character cut-off, but I had some field names with spaces, so I got rid of the spaces but still no success. Any other ideas?