Thread: Choosing a database

Choosing a database

Good Evening,

I am trying to decide the best database to use for a project and need some help. I'm very new to databases and would like some advice. I would like to create a website so my family can key journal entries. I would then like their entry to go through a search in the database and link up with other entries from different family members by use of a key (yet to be determined). Could someone please suggest a database that I could use for this? I have asked around and was told Access is too unstable and SQL maybe cost prohibitive. It was also suggested some type of blog software but I have yet to be able to find software that might do what I'm asking. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Before you decide on a database, I owoudl first determine what platform you will be using. Will the site be hosted on Linix/Unix or Windows Server. What web server will you be using. What scripting language will you be using?

Once you have determined all of that, then I would decide on what database engine will be best for suited for that platform. If you are usng a hosting service, you may be limited in choices. YOu will probably find that almost any SQL server will work that will run on the web server you choose.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTech Coach
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Office Programming 25+ years as a Software Developer specializing in:
    Business Process Management
    Accounting/Inventory Control
    Customer Relations Management (CRM)
    Electronic Data Interchange (EDI)

Quote Originally Posted by athowell39 View Post
    Good Evening,

I am trying to decide the best database to use for a project and need some help. I'm very new to databases and would like some advice. I would like to create a website so my family can key journal entries. I would then like their entry to go through a search in the database and link up with other entries from different family members by use of a key (yet to be determined). Could someone please suggest a database that I could use for this? I have asked around and was told Access is too unstable and SQL maybe cost prohibitive. It was also suggested some type of blog software but I have yet to be able to find software that might do what I'm asking. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.
    I think that MySQL should be fine for you. MySQL is very popular and you can find a lot of help docs and tuts for this db. It is fast and easy in implementation. It works fine on Windows and Linux.