Thread: Database Backup

Database Backup

Hello,

I have to back up our oracle database, and honestly speaking i have no clue about it. I have been reading online and getting information but it is only confusing me more. People are talking about archivelog mode and stuff which i don't know anything about.

What do i have to do step by step to back up an oracle database. Also, i would like it to be an automated task if it is possible.

Can i just copy and paste .dbf, ctl files in a different location? will that be considered as backup? Can i restore a database from these files?

I am really not sure!

Thanks a lot in advance.

J

You can shutdown the database and copy all files to a different folder, this is called cold backup in Oracle terminology.

You can take hot backup while database is only but for that your database must be running on Archive log mode.

You can also do logical export of the database using EXP utility.

You also have an option to use RMAN utility.

Everything is available at http://tahiti.oracle.com

Thanks skhanal.

Instead of shutting down the database and dismounting. Can i just stop the oracle service and then copy the files?

What i am trying to do is create a vb6 application that will backup the database periodically.

I realised that i have to login as sysdba to shutdown and dismount the database. It seems to be a little problematic from vb. However, I can start/stop the service from vb very easily.

Will that be a wise thing to do?

Thanks,
    J

oracle 10g backup

Hi,
    am trying to backup the data in oracle10g. can u please guide me how to use rman.
    it would be helpful if u give the steps clearly.

regards
    shanthi

Quote Originally Posted by shanthi
    Hi,
    am trying to backup the data in oracle10g. can u please guide me how to use rman.
    it would be helpful if u give the steps clearly.

regards
    shanthi
    hi
    if u r using 9i or 10g ,we can use tools 'exp' for exprt, 'imp' for import a database.
    if u r using 8i , we can use tools 'exp80' for exprt, 'imp80' for import a database.

open run dailog box
    type exp or imp for 10g,9i
    type exp80 or imp80 for 8i

Thanks ,
    Anil Kumar .V

Hi,

I would suggest you to try this tool for database backup - Navicat for Oracle.

It includes Data Transfer and Export features. You can also set a schedule to automate the process.

URL - (http://oracle.navicat.com/download.html)
    Feature Table - (oracle.navicat.com/feature.html)

There's a free lite version too.

good luck,

Kenneth