Thread: high transaction/sec on master database

high transaction/sec on master database

Hi,
    I have a cluster sql server 2005 enterprise edition(SP2) and while I was checking few performance counter on the perfmon, I came across something really strange.

Monitoring transaction/sec counter for the total transactions, master and production database shows that the when the CPU usage is high, the transactions/sec on master database can be as high as 2000 while the production is just 50.
    which is quite strange.
    another thing that it might worth mentioning is that the number of active transactions against master is 0 while on the production database the active transaction is 10-15
    any ideas?

Certain processes involve master db, like login to sql. You can trace them in profiler to get better view.

Thanks,
    but when I profile server for the transactions. all the transactins I can see it's againt the production database and nothing against master.
    apart of login/logouts what other transactions are getting processes against master database?

Every time you click on something in ssms, it may call system sp in master.

If you have any security audit running then it will connect to master database multiple times. check for all auditing