Thread: Reference A Query Parameter From A Form

Reference A Query Parameter From A Form

Hello All,

I'm using Access 2003 on Windows XP. I'm real new to Access and SQL, so bear with me.

I have a report that is bound to a query. The query has a parameter for start and end date. This works fine right now, when I run the report I get a dialog box for each parameter. What I would like to do though is create a form that fills in the parameters. That way I can make buttons in the form like "Current year" "Year to Date" etc, as well as have default values in the fields. I tried making a bound form (as I understand it, an unbound form won't link back to the query), and linking the two text boxes in my form to the corresponding parameters in my query. However, when I open the form, I still get two dialog boxes asking me for dates. Does anyone know how I can accomplish this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Below is the query I am working with (I know, it's probably real sloppy, but it's the first real-world query I've written):

PHP Code:
    PARAMETERS StartDate DateTimeEndDate DateTime;
    SELECT 
    d
    .[c.customerid] AS [Customer ID], 
    COUNT(d.[c.customerid]) AS [Number Of Orders], 
    d.[c.fullname] AS Name
    d.[c.company] AS Company
    d.[c.email] AS Email
    d.[c.phone] AS Phone
    d.[c.discountpercent] AS [Percent Discount], 
    d.[c.taxid] AS Terms
    MAX (d.[o.orderdate]) AS [Last Order], 
    MIN (d.[o.orderdate]) AS [First Order], 
    AVG (d.[o.producttotal]) AS [Average Order]
    FROM (SELECT c.customeridc.fullnamec.companyc.emailc.phonec.discountpercentc.taxido.orderdateo.ordernumbero.producttotal
    FROM customers 
    AS corders AS o
    WHERE c
    .discountpercent AND c.customerid o.customerid AND o.orderdate BETWEEN [StartDate] AND [EndDate]) AS d
    GROUP BY d
    .[c.customerid], d.[c.fullname], d.[c.company], d.[c.email], d.[c.phone], d.[c.discountpercent], d.[c.taxid]; 
    Thanks,
    Hal

Parameters

Remove PARAMETERS

and this portion of WHERE clause:
    orderdate BETWEEN [StartDate] AND [EndDate]
    should go into your form if they are not already there

Keep in mind that the easiest way to build a query is to use the QBE (Query By Example) query builder to build your query. If you put a start date and end date field on your form you can use the builder option (3 dots) to reference the active form. It is always a good idea to give distinct name to all items on forms. When selecting a range of data it is always a good idea to use the >= and <= selection criteria, e.g. >= startdate and <= finish date. That way you will always get the full data set.

In addition to the other suggestions, what I have done for a number of projects is create a single record table: tblReportParameters that is bound to a form for defining beginng/ending date, fiscalperiod - whatever. I then include the table in queries used for reporting such as DateField between beginningdate and endingdate

This way any report can be run multiple times w/out the form having to be open. Otherwise you would be coding DateField between forms!formname!beginningdate and forms!formname!endingdate - returning an error if you (the programmer) try to open the query or the report w/out the form being open