I got several questions concerning how to use ASP-db inside VS and also in Web Pages. I looked at the write-up in the API & Code Gallery and it is kind of advance. So I went for the extreme and forgot about the simple basic users. I'll update the write-up in the next few days to cover that.

Essentially, inside VS, the control and the code is separated (unlike the simple aspx file). So you must hook up to the controls via it's property whether it is a grid, a graph or a stock price retrieval etc. For example, Go to VS and build your aspx code in the name.aspx.vb and then put a literal control in the name.aspx page. In the code page (name.aspx.vb) assign the result to the Text property of the literal control like ->

<script language="vb" runat="server">
Public ret as string
Sub Page_Load(Source as Object, E as EventArgs)
Dim Rm As New Tornado.z
Dim GD As New Tornado.GetData
Rm.dbQP = "U=1|S=1|D=Nwind|Q=Employees|TH=tit=My Grid|iv=t"
Rm.ASPdbNet()
literal1.Text = GD.Get_ASPDBNET("1")
End Sub
</script>

That's it !! This can expand into very complex web pages and you can place the ASP-db output(s) in the appropriate properties of the control. It'll work great.

As for the Web Page, ASP-db really shines as it is a big job to include interactive DBs inside web pages. The standard way is to use cgi and java and is often not repeatable. With ASP-db it is a real easy job. Just include the ASP-db code inside a <Script> block and then declare a public variable and then embedde it inside the web page. See example ->

<script language="vb" runat="server">
Public ret as string
Sub Page_Load(Source as Object, E as EventArgs)
Dim Rm As New Tornado.z
Dim GD As New Tornado.GetData
Rm.dbQP = "U=1|S=1|D=Nwind|Q=Employees|TH=tit=My Grid|iv=t"
Rm.ASPdbNet()
Ret = GD.Get_ASPDBNET("1")
End Sub
</script>

<html>
<body>
My Web Page with my CSS and settings<P>
My grid is -<br>
<%= Ret %>
</body>
</html>

See, here, the web page is just 2 lines of text. But it can be as complex as you want. Just insert the ASP-db output in the right place using <%= Var %>.

Remember that you must use the .aspx as the web page extension instead of the html, index etc.. in order for this to work.

Frank