Thread: moving SQL Server 2000 instances to a cluster

moving SQL Server 2000 instances to a cluster

Hi,

We have a new failover cluster (Windows 2003 SP1, Microsoft SQL 2000 SP4) with each node of the cluster hosting 7 SQL Server instances in a 2-node active-active configuration connected to a SAN. We are planning to move some SQL Server Instances(from existing stand-alone servers) into this Cluster. Any insight into the process of moving SQL Servers into the cluster would be highly appreciated.

Best Regards,
    Himansu

Just transfer sql logins, jobs and dts packages in instance on cluster, and restore db from backup to those instances. My concern is does each node has enough horse power to handle 14 instances in case of failover.

Hi, Thanks for the quick response. We have high end IBM xseries Servers as the nodes and we hope the performance will be the same or better I need one more clarification .. do we need to restore only User DBs .. or System DBs also need to be moved to the cluster instances ?

I prefer restore user dbs only in this case. You can transfer sql logins, jobs and dts packages with dts.

Thanks for the help !!