Thread: MySQL - Show Databases doesn't show all databases

Question MySQL - Show Databases doesn't show all databases

I was shanghied into maintaining all MySQL databases because I was the only member of IT that had database experience (I am an Oracle DBA). Recently, something happened to one of the main servers that is being used for reporting and uses MySQL for the report function.

When I issue the command SHOW DATABASES, it only shows TEST and not the other databases that had been on the server. I go to the file locations and the files are there. I have read for hours on how to get the databases still there recognized by the MySQL engine, to no avail.

No, there were no dumps, no there was no backup of the server - there will be soon, but unfortunately, the person who designed and used all this was not very complete since he knew exactly where everything was and how it was setup originally and was poor with documentation (don't start me on that rant! )

Any help would be greatly appreciated as my Production is down and I need to get it back up.

MySQL 4.0 running on SuSE 9.1, using PHP 4.3.4

Thank you for any help you can offer,

Tuple9i

Maybe its a permissions issue. You don't have permission to touch the other databases. Can you log in as root and try?

Yes, I think that may be true. The original scripts call out a user I can't find. All the databases were supposed to owned by this user, but they are all owned by root. How do you transfer the databases from one owner to another? I know how to do it in Oracle, but the only way I know of in MySQL is to use mysqldump - cumbersome and slow.

Do you know your root password? You will probably have to be root in order to set yourself up with total access to all of the databases.

You next step would be to do a search on google for the following: "create user in mysql with all permissions"

OR

You could try doing a "mysqldump mysql user",
    then copy the line from the user table that has the root username and password, and change the username to yours. Then insert only that line into the user table.

Good luck man

Thanks, worked well. Had to do a bit of fancy footwork , but the comments were most helpful.