Hello all,

I am running SQL 7.0 SP3 on NT4.0
IIS 5.0 on WIN 2000 Server SP2 PIII 800MHz 512 MB RAM
ASPDB Version - EP- 6.ASPDB2001-04.13-SP3-ADO21-MTS-Std

First a bug that I can't seem to find the answer to. When I have any download from any recordset (including one from the pubs DB) I get some HTML in the last row of my spreadsheet.

The other problem is download performance. I read two posts concerning this one was from 4/30/01 and his problem is the same as mine. I collected some data about the download speed and have found the following:

The speed can be determined by the number of fieldscells (rows X columns) and relates to this linear function
y = 1434.6x -66.545 where y = fields and x = time (R2 of 0.9758)

What this means for me is that to download the excel limit of 2^16 rows and only 80 columns wide it will take 60 mins to compile the download. This is just the time required to bring the dialog box to the browser asking where to place the file.

My users will be downloading very large recordsets that will approach the excel limit at times. If you apply the equation above, for a two minute wait you can get the following:
Columns Records
-------- --------
5 34417
10 17209
15 11472
20 8604
25 6883
30 5736
35 4917

I need to be able to do about 20 columns and 34000 records in less than a minute if possible. If I run the query in query analyzer the longest one returns in under 30 seconds. If I run an export from Enterprise Manager to and excel or csv file it returns in 30 seconds.

There appears to be a lot of overhead in the dll. When using performance monitor we have been able to track the bottleneck down to the ASPDb dll. It runs the processor at about 70-100% utilization for the duration of the request. This is with one user requesting the file on the local network and no other traffic to the server. I am very hesitant to release this to clients and have several of them hit it and bring the server to its knees.

I have set the response.buffer = true and the dbCount SQL statement. Is there anything else you can suggest. I have stripped the code down to the bare essentials in hopes of reducing the overhead and it did not seem to make a difference.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Will Schneider