I have taken over responsibility of a Production SQL 2000 Cluster running on Windows 2003. I found out last week the SQL System Databases are on a RAID 5 drive spread across 2 storage arrays (MSA30's). Clearly this is not fault tolerant (if one of the storage array fails, it will wipe out 2 drives and thusly the SQL system DB's). I want to convert the RAID 5 to a RAID 1 across the two storage arrays. I am aware Microsoft has a technet article out there describing how to move system db's. However, since this is production, I don't want to get involved with reg\cluster changes.

Below is the plan I want to take. I'm very nervous about deleting the S: drive resource as I do not know if SQL server depends only on drive letter or some other cluster identifier to find it's system DB's. I do not have an environment to test this so I would appreciate any input.

1. Backup contents on S: drive (which contain SQL system DB's and nothing else).

2. Delete the S: Drive Resource from Windows Cluster Administrator

3. Delete the S: Drive in Windows Drive Manager.

4. Delete the RAID 5 Volume in Array Manager.

5. Create RAID 1 Drive in Array Manager and call it S: in Windows Drive Manager.

6. Create new Cluster Resource S: through Windows Cluster Administrator.

7. Re-Add the S: drive as a SQL Server Resource.

8. Restart SQL Server (will the SQL Server installation start up again with a new S: drive resource created???)

Thank you in advance to someone who has more experience in this than I do!