Thread: Tags field size and type in update

Tags field size and type in update

Why do I have to specify the type to specify the field size in the .dbupdateflds function. This seems to work fine if you have a text field but there is no type for an updatable numeric field, and specifying just the tags argument is ignored and the field defaults to 25. ie to set the length of an input field to 4 I have to say |type=text|tags=size=4, this works just fine for character fields but what about numeric field, just specifying |tags=size=4 is ignored and it defaults to 25 without the type argument.

How do I do that?

If TYPE="" then a set of defaults take place

TYPE=TEXT
    TAG=SIZE=25
    NOTES=""
    DEF = Raw Field or Process Date Format

for any use sepcied options, TYPE must be specified.

>>... numeric field
    need explanation what is this in an <INPUT....> field.

FK

This is correct, it is an input field and I am using my own update template. It works by saying my number field is a text field, but having to specify a "text" type to change the length of a numeric displayed field is confusing. You may want to change the manual and specify that you can use the text type for any type of fields including numeric fields, since there is no specific types of numeric field unless they are read only.

you mean it is confusing between numeric field "size" and "TEXT SIZE" and MAXLENGTH?

What I mean is that if I want to specify the displayed size of an input field for and add or update function, I have to use the type "text" for a numeric field, what is confusing is that there is no choice for a numeric type field.

Type of input field -
    Text (Def to SIZE=25, NO OPTIONS)
    Password
    TextCalendar
    TextArea
    Radio, Radio+BN0 (B=Blank N=Null 0=Zero)
    Checkbox,Checkbox+BN0 (B=Blank N=Null 0=Zero)
    SelectBox, SelectBox+BN0 (B=Blank N=Null 0=Zero)
    ROUpdate
    RONOUpdate
    ROAdd
    RONOAdd
    Hidden

Since I cannot specify a size without specifying a type, there is no evident choice.

One must assume that text also includes numeric fields, ie fields that are specified in the DB as integer, long integer, decimal etc.

That is the part that I find confusing and where maybe the manual could be more explicit.

OH, but there is no such thing as Numeric in HTML! All inputs <INPUT..> are of text type and the real types are applied via the DB part after the HTML part. The Type=TEXT is just using the HTML "<Input Type=TEXT"..>

May be I'll add to doc like Type=TEXT is the HTML <INPUT TYPE=TEXT...>

OK, I get it now, I thought the type was referring to the DB type.

Thanks.

See my new year resolution in the message above...
    give me some input...

Yes, if you refer to the HTML type it would be a lot clearer.