Thread: SQL 2000 DTS and the Web

Ken Haff Guest

SQL 2000 DTS and the Web

Is it a security risk to access the web via our MS Proxy firewall using a DTS FTP Task from the database server?

My security administrator says that it is an unacceptable risk to access the web from the database server, because during the execution of the FTP Task it is possible to "Back-Feed" through the port to the Database Server compromising our MS Proxy firewall security.

Any insight from you network security types would be greatly appreciated.

JamesH Guest

SQL 2000 DTS and the Web (reply)

I don't see how this could be any different from accessing a FTP site through the normal ftp methods or using a batch file to do the work. They are still going to use the same methods and actions.

I have been having problems with FTP Task in 2k and have reverted to using Batch Files in combination with the Execute Process Task to ftp. I really don't see how your Security Admin. can justify what he's saying unless he blocks all ftp activity.

------------
    Ken Haff at 2/2/01 7:40:32 AM

Is it a security risk to access the web via our MS Proxy firewall using a DTS FTP Task from the database server?

My security administrator says that it is an unacceptable risk to access the web from the database server, because during the execution of the FTP Task it is possible to "Back-Feed" through the port to the Database Server compromising our MS Proxy firewall security.

Any insight from you network security types would be greatly appreciated.