Thread: full back up ( transaction log ) vs ( incremental backup)

al Guest

full back up ( transaction log ) vs ( incremental backup)

hi, I would like to know the correct reaction for a crash in both senarios.
    First senario,
    I made a full back up at 6 am , then scheduled sql server to make transaction log back up every 2 hours (8,10,12,2 pm,4,6,8) . If I have a crash at 12:30. How would I resotre the data in the first senario....Can I restore the full back up done at 6 am then restore the last transaction log backup ( which is 12 Noon ) . I am not sure If I need to resotre the whole tran from 6 am till the time it was crashed.

Second senario,

I made a full back up at 6 am, then scheduled sql server to make Incremental backup every 2 hours (8,10,12,2 pm,4,6,8) . If I have a crash at 3:00 pm. How would I resotre the data in the second senario. ....Do I restore the full backup at 6 am then restore each incremental backup backwords ( 2,12,10,8)

AS you can see, I am not sure how to deal with this issue, I do appreciate your feedback.

Best regards

Ahmed

full back up ( transaction log ) vs ( incremental backup) (reply)

TRANSACTION BACKUPS: Scenario 1: At point of Failure, Make a backup of the active transaction log. Restore the Datatabase Backup from 6AM
    then restore the transaction log backups from 8,10,12 w/NORECOVERY and then apply the One you just made with the RECOVERY OPTION . This will get you to the point of failure.

DIFFERENTIAL BACKUPS: Scenario 2: Books On-Line (BOL)
    The sequence for restoring differential database backups is:

1. Restore the most recent database backup.
    2. Restore the last differential database backup.
    3. Apply all transaction log backups created after the last differential database backup was created if you use Full or Bulk-Logged Recovery.

You might also check out the "Log Explorer" by Lumigent, It's the first product I've seen where you can monitor and change active transaction logs.
    ALSO, BOL is a GREAT source for any sql question.

James H.
    ------------
    al at 2/1/01 6:12:49 PM

First senario,
    I made a full back up at 6 am , then scheduled sql server to make transaction log back up every 2 hours (8,10,12,2 pm,4,6,8) . If I have a crash at 12:30. How would I resotre the data in the first senario....Can I restore the full back up done at 6 am then restore the last transaction log backup ( which is 12 Noon ) . I am not sure If I need to resotre the whole tran from 6 am till the time it was crashed.

Second senario,

I made a full back up at 6 am, then scheduled sql server to make Incremental backup every 2 hours (8,10,12,2 pm,4,6,8) . If I have a crash at 3:00 pm. How would I resotre the data in the second senario. ....Do I restore the full backup at 6 am then restore each incremental backup backwords ( 2,12,10,8)

AS you can see, I am not sure how to deal with this issue, I do appreciate your feedback.

Best regards

Ahmed

JamesH Guest

full back up ( transaction log ) vs ( incremental backup) (reply)

TRANSACTION BACKUPS: Scenario 1: At point of Failure, Make a backup of the active transaction log. Restore the Datatabase Backup from 6AM
    then restore the transaction log backups from 8,10,12 w/NORECOVERY and then apply the One you just made with the RECOVERY OPTION . This will get you to the point of failure.

DIFFERENTIAL BACKUPS: Scenario 2: Books On-Line (BOL)
    The sequence for restoring differential database backups is:

1. Restore the most recent database backup.
    2. Restore the last differential database backup.
    3. Apply all transaction log backups created after the last differential database backup was created if you use Full or Bulk-Logged Recovery.

You might also check out the "Log Explorer" by Lumigent, It's the first product I've seen where you can monitor and change active transaction logs.
    ALSO, BOL is a GREAT source for any sql question.

James H.
    ------------
    al at 2/1/01 6:12:49 PM

First senario,

Second senario,

Best regards

Ahmed