Thread: I am getting a EM - DB Backup Job failure - but the Job is NOT failing. Help?

billyackerman Guest

I am getting a EM - DB Backup Job failure - but the Job is NOT failing. Help?

Help! I am getting a Job failure for a DB Backup Job when I open up the
    EM -> Management -> SQL Server Agt -> Jobs
    When I check the SQL Logs, there is no Error message, nor is there an error message in the DB Maintenance Plan History. I checked the Server to make sure the DB was being backed up, and the current file is there. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks! (make me look good to the rest of my group!)

jim Guest

I am getting a EM - DB Backup Job failure - but the Job is NOT failing. Help? (reply)

There could be an error after the backup file is created. Such as not being able to delete the old backup file (I've had this happen). Check the log files for the backup job. Look at the last tab of the maintenace plan for the location of the files.

------------
    billyackerman at 7/25/01 1:30:57 PM

When I check the SQL Logs, there is no Error message, nor is there an error message in the DB Maintenance Plan History. I checked the Server to make sure the DB was being backed up, and the current file is there. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks! (make me look good to the rest of my group!)

billyackerman Guest

I am getting a EM - DB Backup Job failure - but the Job is NOT failing. Help? (reply)

The backup files are being deleted properly. Any other suggestions? (btw, jim thanx for the input).... billy

------------
    jim at 7/25/01 5:55:52 PM

There could be an error after the backup file is created. Such as not being able to delete the old backup file (I've had this happen). Check the log files for the backup job. Look at the last tab of the maintenace plan for the location of the files.

------------

Anna Guest

I had a similar problem when I scheduled dbccs/backups with the maintenance wizard. I deleted the sql agent jobs created by the maintenance wizard, resaved the maintenance plan and verified that the wizard created new batch jobs. The job ran okay the next time it was scheduled with no errors. I ran dbccs on all of the databases and received no errors.

If the backup files are okay, then I'd recreate the job and let it run. Chances are it will run without problems.

It sounds like you checked the SQL server logs and maintenance plan history and there were no errors.

I have no idea why the sql agent job failed. I'm thinking there is a bug but the problem has not occurred again.

------------
    billyackerman at 7/26/01 11:36:56 AM

The backup files are being deleted properly. Any other suggestions? (btw, jim thanx for the input).... billy

------------

------------

jim Guest

Does the backup job also backup the tranaction logs? If you attempt to backup a transaction log and the mode is set to 'simple' it will fail.

------------
    Anna at 7/26/01 1:03:34 PM

I had a similar problem when I scheduled dbccs/backups with the maintenance wizard. I deleted the sql agent jobs created by the maintenance wizard, resaved the maintenance plan and verified that the wizard created new batch jobs. The job ran okay the next time it was scheduled with no errors. I ran dbccs on all of the databases and received no errors.

If the backup files are okay, then I'd recreate the job and let it run. Chances are it will run without problems.

It sounds like you checked the SQL server logs and maintenance plan history and there were no errors.

I have no idea why the sql agent job failed. I'm thinking there is a bug but the problem has not occurred again.

------------

------------

------------

DavidB Guest

What error is the log reporting. Can't go much farther with this discussion until that information is established.

------------
    jim at 7/26/01 2:16:08 PM

Does the backup job also backup the tranaction logs? If you attempt to backup a transaction log and the mode is set to 'simple' it will fail.

------------
    Anna at 7/26/01 1:03:34 PM

------------

------------

------------