Thread: Move Replicated Database

Move Replicated Database

Hi,
    We have to move two of our servers in US hosting SQL Server 2000 database to different location. These servers are clustered using MSCS and uses SAN to store database data. The database on this cluster hosts publisher and distributor. The other two sites in Europe host updateable subscribers. We are using transactional replication. The downtime will be around 24 hours during which servers will be physically moved from one location to other. During this time we will keep the two subscribers running and let the changes queued on subscribers. I have listed following steps based on my limited knowledge of SQL Server. Could somebody please advise if this approach is valid and if I have missed any steps?

1. Make sure no users are accessing database
    2. Backup database (In case of emergency need)
    3. Stop snapshot, Log Reader, Queue Reader and Distributor Agents
    4. Stop SQL Server Service and SQL Agent
    5. Take OS backup
    5. Shutdown the server
    6. Ship the servers and OS backup to new location
    7. Setup servers at new location and restore OS backup
    8. Start SQL Server Service and SQL Agent
    9. Start agents listed in step 3

Regards,
    Nilesh

Why restore OS?
    Do you have to change ip address and/or host name? Do you use bi-directional replication? If not, how to sync changes on subscribers back to to publisher?

Thanks rmiao for reply.

The database data resides on SAN storage and we are not moving the SAN but planning to use existing SAN in new location. We will not change the hostnme but ip address will change.
    Also, we are using bi-directional replication and this database is 'Publisher' while other two are 'Updateable Subscribers'. AFAIK when publisher is down the changes will be queue at subsricbers and once the publisher comes back up, they will be applied.

nilesh

That should be fine, but still don't know why you need restore os listed in your step 7.

rmiao,
    thanks for quick reply. I meant OS backup of datafiles, not the actual OS. As we are not moving the physical SAN from one location to other, System Admin will perform following steps related to storage at new location.
    - Connect existing SAN to the server
    - Allocate and Configure SAN storage
    - Make sure the drive letters and capacity are same as before.

Nilesh

Got it. But you don't have to restore them unless something go wrong.

rmiao,
    I need the datafiles and logfiles present in order to access database data. As we are not moving actual SAN hardware to new location, there will be no data on new SAN. So, lets say I had two shared drives E and T with datafiles and logfiles respectively at original location (loc1).

Data: E:\MSSQL\data\DB1_data.mdf
    Log: T:\MSSQL\data\DB1_log.ldf

I need to restore OS backup of these two directories at new location (loc2) on new SAN. We will keep the same drive letters at new location, so there will be no need to rename data/log files.

nilesh