Thread: DB Backup Performance

Krishnakumar Guest

DB Backup Performance

I have a problem in my production server. It is taking long time to take BACKUP or RESTORE of a particular Database. Where as I am trying the same BACKUP and RESTORE task with the same Database in another test server which is very less configuration compared to earlier. In this test server BACKUP and RESTORE task is completing in 10 Mins where as in the earlier Higher configuration server the same task is taking 30 Mins. How can I improve the BACKUP and RESTORE performance?. Can anyone clarify to me?

Sundar Guest

DB Backup Performance (reply)

Is the database in use by anyone at the time of the backup? Check what locks you have on it, there should be no one other than the backup SPID holding locks.

------------
    Krishnakumar at 11/29/2001 5:00:12 AM

I have a problem in my production server. It is taking long time to take BACKUP or RESTORE of a particular Database. Where as I am trying the same BACKUP and RESTORE task with the same Database in another test server which is very less configuration compared to earlier. In this test server BACKUP and RESTORE task is completing in 10 Mins where as in the earlier Higher configuration server the same task is taking 30 Mins. How can I improve the BACKUP and RESTORE performance?. Can anyone clarify to me?