Thread: Unable to connect to SQL Server

sonia Guest

Unable to connect to SQL Server

I am unable to connect to SQL Server using isql_w or enterprise manager. The ODBC settings register successfull and the services show as started. I have tried starting SQL server in single-user mode with minimum config to see if memory is a problem but still cannot connect. The error logs show SQL as having started successfully with no errors. Has anyone got any ideas?

Craig Guest

Unable to connect to SQL Server (reply)

If it is 6.5, try logging in standard by registering the server in EM with sa and a blank password.

How did you try and login?

------------
    sonia at 6/12/00 10:54:47 AM

I am unable to connect to SQL Server using isql_w or enterprise manager. The ODBC settings register successfull and the services show as started. I have tried starting SQL server in single-user mode with minimum config to see if memory is a problem but still cannot connect. The error logs show SQL as having started successfully with no errors. Has anyone got any ideas?

Sonia Guest

Yes it is 6.5. I have tried registering in EM with sa and blank password but no luck!!

------------
    Craig at 6/12/00 11:03:42 AM

If it is 6.5, try logging in standard by registering the server in EM with sa and a blank password.

------------

Craig Guest

What error message did you get when you start normal? Don't use single user mode, because the agent maybe taking that connection and messing you up. In normal mode, what error do you get?

------------
    Sonia at 6/12/00 12:01:51 PM

Yes it is 6.5. I have tried registering in EM with sa and blank password but no luck!!

------------

------------

Sonia Guest

I don't get any error message. The EM or isql_w just hangs with the hourglass and Iv'e had to end task to get rid of it.

------------
    Craig at 6/12/00 2:38:17 PM

What error message did you get when you start normal? Don't use single user mode, because the agent maybe taking that connection and messing you up. In normal mode, what error do you get?

------------

------------

------------

Craig Guest

If this is on your local box, I would uninstall and reinstall.

------------
    Sonia at 6/12/00 4:52:52 PM

I don't get any error message. The EM or isql_w just hangs with the hourglass and Iv'e had to end task to get rid of it.

------------
    Craig at 6/12/00 2:38:17 PM

------------

------------

------------