Thread: Question about Log space available.

Christian Bellavance Guest

Question about Log space available.

Hi!! When our log device is full we execute that following command to free up space "DUMP TRANSACTION MyDB with TRUNCATE_ONLY, NO_LOG" After that, if I view the data base information it says log space available 0,00MB. Why this? It should show me the total amount of available space.

Thanks!

Kenneth Wilhelmsson Guest

Question about Log space available. (reply)

Hi Christian.

You must refresh the stats first.
    "DBCC checktable(syslogs)"

Then use "DBCC sqlperf(logspace)" to view logstatus for all databases
    or
    "sp_spaceused syslogs" for current db.

Don't ever believe the numbers in Enterprise Manager. It lies.

/Kenneth
    ------------
    Christian Bellavance at 3/18/99 7:29:17 AM

Hi!! When our log device is full we execute that following command to free up space "DUMP TRANSACTION MyDB with TRUNCATE_ONLY, NO_LOG" After that, if I view the data base information it says log space available 0,00MB. Why this? It should show me the total amount of available space.

Thanks!

Paul Nockolds Guest

Question about Log space available. (reply)

This is a known glitch and shouldn't be worried about. The refreshing of the display doesn't work properly. This question often appears on this site. There is a command to correct it, I'll try and dig it out for you. Remind me Monday.

hope this helps a bit?

Paul

------------
    Christian Bellavance at 3/18/99 7:29:17 AM

Thanks!