Thread: HELP! -- RESTORE DB FAILS

rsp Guest

HELP! -- RESTORE DB FAILS

Hello, I have a SERIOUS problem where I am restoring my SQL server (6.5) dump to my standby server everyday.......however, it often fails with the following msg:
    'Unexpected end-of-dump while loading database, attempting to continue. Please verify database integrity. (Message 3103)'
    It does also succeed, but too often fails and my standby server depends on it. The DB that gets restored is placed in single-user mode, so no other process or connection is allowed.
    The backup to PROD runs at 12AM, for about 3 hours and succeeds always; the restore runs at 4:00...i've tried later times as well.
    Can anyone tell me how to get near 100% success rate? What is the problem and how can I fix it? Thank you for the help.

RamaKrishna Seelam Guest

HELP! -- RESTORE DB FAILS (reply)

Presumably you are copying the dump from Prod to StandBy before loading on the standby server.When the dump files become too big, the file copy could fail casuing these type of errors .
    Other than this I can't think of any other reason for this failure.
    Try dumping to a tape and loading from the tape.

regards,
    Rama

------------
    rsp at 7/13/00 11:50:45 AM

Hello, I have a SERIOUS problem where I am restoring my SQL server (6.5) dump to my standby server everyday.......however, it often fails with the following msg:
    'Unexpected end-of-dump while loading database, attempting to continue. Please verify database integrity. (Message 3103)'
    It does also succeed, but too often fails and my standby server depends on it. The DB that gets restored is placed in single-user mode, so no other process or connection is allowed.
    The backup to PROD runs at 12AM, for about 3 hours and succeeds always; the restore runs at 4:00...i've tried later times as well.
    Can anyone tell me how to get near 100% success rate? What is the problem and how can I fix it? Thank you for the help.

rsp Guest

Thnx for responding. Actually, right now the Standy is loading from the actual dump from prod. I thought perhaps they were bumping into each other, but according to the schedule of tasks, they are scheduled to run an hour apart...history has shown that the backup succeeds at least 45min-1hour before the restore. One thing, the restore is happening via the network.
    Any other ideas and how to address this? thanks again

------------
    RamaKrishna Seelam at 7/13/00 1:07:07 PM

Presumably you are copying the dump from Prod to StandBy before loading on the standby server.When the dump files become too big, the file copy could fail casuing these type of errors .

regards,
    Rama

------------

Craig Guest

If your restore is reading the dump from your production db or application server, you will see this type of fail if there is a problem on your network, like you lost a packet.

Network types and sniffers are required to debug where the drop is happening. I see this error on occasion..........

------------
    rsp at 7/13/00 2:26:46 PM

Thnx for responding. Actually, right now the Standy is loading from the actual dump from prod. I thought perhaps they were bumping into each other, but according to the schedule of tasks, they are scheduled to run an hour apart...history has shown that the backup succeeds at least 45min-1hour before the restore. One thing, the restore is happening via the network.
    Any other ideas and how to address this? thanks again

------------
    RamaKrishna Seelam at 7/13/00 1:07:07 PM

regards,
    Rama

------------