Thread: 'NT AUTHORITYANONYMOUS LOGON'

David Guest

'NT AUTHORITYANONYMOUS LOGON'

Greetings,

After upgrading a SQL 7.0 WINNT 4.0 SP5 box to Windows 2000 SP1, SQL 2000 configuration I am getting the following error when some users try to connect to the server using Enterprise Manager;

"A connection could not be established to 'SERVERNAME'. Reason: Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITYANONYMOUS LOGON'"

After doing some troubleshooting, I have found that this only occurs when I have the services started with a domain service account (this account is part of the domain admin global group and is a System Administrator in SQL as well) and it does not occur when the services are started with the System Account. Additionally, it also appears that this only occurs for some users and not all. However, these same users that are having problems on this server, can connect to other Database Servers using the "same" configuration.

Has anyone seen this. I have searched TechNet and found nothing that applies directly to this error. Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated.

David Guest

'NT AUTHORITYANONYMOUS LOGON' (reply)

After rebuilding logins with no effect, found that by detaching each user database, copying the .mdf file to another location, reattaching the db, dropping the db and then recreating it with the create database for attach to the copied file fixed the problem that I was having. I'm assuming that this was because of a lost link from the login to the database however, I am confused why recreating the login would not fix this issue. Any information why that would be would be appreciated.

Anyway, I hope that someone else can benefit from this knowledge.

------------
    David at 3/26/01 11:40:36 AM

Greetings,

After upgrading a SQL 7.0 WINNT 4.0 SP5 box to Windows 2000 SP1, SQL 2000 configuration I am getting the following error when some users try to connect to the server using Enterprise Manager;

"A connection could not be established to 'SERVERNAME'. Reason: Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITYANONYMOUS LOGON'"

After doing some troubleshooting, I have found that this only occurs when I have the services started with a domain service account (this account is part of the domain admin global group and is a System Administrator in SQL as well) and it does not occur when the services are started with the System Account. Additionally, it also appears that this only occurs for some users and not all. However, these same users that are having problems on this server, can connect to other Database Servers using the "same" configuration.

Has anyone seen this. I have searched TechNet and found nothing that applies directly to this error. Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated.