Thread: How much time to create a DB?HELP!!!!!

Jane Guest

How much time to create a DB?HELP!!!!!

I am trying to create a Db of 5Gb and its almost 3 hrs that its creating one ...i have already created the devices earlier.I cannot get access to the SQl
    Server Thru EM,Though i am able to register the server in my EM but i cannot open it , it says cannot access server "xyz" as the database "pqr" is being created
    can i some how kill the above process(i tried opening the isql window but still the same message) or let it continue..for some more time.

Replies will be appreciated

Jane

Bill Guest

How much time to create a DB?HELP!!!!! (reply)

Based on how much memory is allocated to SQL and speed of disks, 3 hrs is not unreasonable.

------------
    Jane at 7/18/00 2:59:07 PM

I am trying to create a Db of 5Gb and its almost 3 hrs that its creating one ...i have already created the devices earlier.I cannot get access to the SQl
    Server Thru EM,Though i am able to register the server in my EM but i cannot open it , it says cannot access server "xyz" as the database "pqr" is being created
    can i some how kill the above process(i tried opening the isql window but still the same message) or let it continue..for some more time.

Jane

Jane Guest

Bill,
    Ok..i can give it some more time but what if the process never completes(at least it should give me a error message) then how do i
    get access to the server.??

Thanks

------------
    Bill at 7/18/00 3:16:46 PM

Based on how much memory is allocated to SQL and speed of disks, 3 hrs is not unreasonable.

------------

Jane

Bill Guest

Good question. Try shutting down SQL. It may take a while. Or, Reboot NT. SQL will then go into rollback and the database in question will be in "recover" mode. This could also take awhile. I have rebooted NT twice and after some time the database will either be ok or suspect. If suspect we can then drop it and start over.

Keep in touch.

And, good luck.

------------
    Jane at 7/18/00 3:26:03 PM

Bill,
    Ok..i can give it some more time but what if the process never completes(at least it should give me a error message) then how do i

Thanks

------------

------------

Jane

Jane Guest

Hey Bill,
    Thanks for all the help..i discovered that the Model database was currupted and i killed the process and restarted the service

Now its just fine....

Thanks again

Jane

------------
    Bill at 7/18/00 4:16:41 PM

Good question. Try shutting down SQL. It may take a while. Or, Reboot NT. SQL will then go into rollback and the database in question will be in "recover" mode. This could also take awhile. I have rebooted NT twice and after some time the database will either be ok or suspect. If suspect we can then drop it and start over.

Keep in touch.

And, good luck.

------------

Bill,

Thanks

------------

------------

Jane

Bill Guest

Is model still currupt? SQL uses it to create databases?

------------
    Jane at 7/18/00 4:23:32 PM

Hey Bill,
    Thanks for all the help..i discovered that the Model database was currupted and i killed the process and restarted the service

Now its just fine....

Thanks again

Jane

------------

Keep in touch.

And, good luck.

------------

Bill,

Thanks

------------

------------

Jane

Jane Guest

Since SQL Server tries to repair it self after service restart ....the Model got set actomatically
    Thanks Again

------------
    Bill at 7/18/00 4:50:31 PM

Is model still currupt? SQL uses it to create databases?

------------
    Jane at 7/18/00 4:23:32 PM

Hey Bill,

Now its just fine....

Thanks again

Jane

------------

Keep in touch.

And, good luck.

------------

Bill,

Thanks

------------

------------

Jane