Thread: tempdb SQL65 - > SQL70

patrick s Guest

tempdb SQL65 - > SQL70

We have customers who use SQL6.5 and tempdb in RAM.(Our bank's application uses a lot of temporary tables by enquiry). For performance, customer uses tempdb in RAM instead of hard disk( test has been done and performance is better with tempdb in RAM. )

Customer wants to upgrade to SQL7. But, we can't put tempdb in RAM in SQL7.

My question is about SQL7 tempdb. - performance is better, the same, or bad - someone has an idea how can we put tempdb in RAM ? for instance RAMDRIVE or others programs and how is the performance ??

There is a good idea to put tempdb in RAM on SQL7 ?????? Your help will be appreciate a lot. thanks

Ray Miao Guest

tempdb SQL65 - > SQL70 (reply)

Can't put tempdb in ram, Microsoft even doesn't recommend this in sql6.5.

------------
    patrick s at 7/17/00 11:16:00 AM

We have customers who use SQL6.5 and tempdb in RAM.(Our bank's application uses a lot of temporary tables by enquiry). For performance, customer uses tempdb in RAM instead of hard disk( test has been done and performance is better with tempdb in RAM. )

My question is about SQL7 tempdb. - performance is better, the same, or bad - someone has an idea how can we put tempdb in RAM ? for instance RAMDRIVE or others programs and how is the performance ??

There is a good idea to put tempdb in RAM on SQL7 ?????? Your help will be appreciate a lot. thanks

patrick s Guest

tempdb SQL65 - > SQL70 (reply)

Ray,
    I agreed with you, but We have a customer who had tested tempdb in RAM and on hard disk and I can tell you that the performance was better in RAM.

------------
    Ray Miao at 7/17/00 12:17:25 PM

Can't put tempdb in ram, Microsoft even doesn't recommend this in sql6.5.

------------
    patrick s at 7/17/00 11:16:00 AM