Thread: Restoring a db from a remote location

Restoring a db from a remote location

We have one development server and another production server. I am trying to restore a production dat file to the development server. I can get as far as adding the path name of the remote file (e.g. \serverd$directoryfilename), but I can`t seem to enable the "Restore Now" button. The file actually displays in the Devices and Files section, but when I click it, nothing happens.

There happens to be another pre-existing device that does respond to my click - the device is added to the "Backup Information" section of the screen, and the Restore Now button is enabled - but that isn`t really the one I want to restore from.

Is there a step I`m missing?

Thanks in advance,

Lisa

Craig Guest

Restoring a db from a remote location (reply)

On 10/13/98 7:25:29 AM, wrote:
    > We have one development server and another production server. I am trying
    > to restore a production dat file to the development server. I can get as
    > far as adding the path name of the remote file (e.g.
    > \serverd$directoryfilename), but I can`t seem to enable the "Restore
    > Now" button. The file actually displays in the Devices and Files section,
    > but when I click it, nothing happens.

There happens to be another
    > pre-existing device that does respond to my click - the device is added to
    > the "Backup Information" section of the screen, and the Restore Now button
    > is enabled - but that isn`t really the one I want to restore from.

Is
    > there a step I`m missing?

Thanks in advance,

Lisa

+++++++++++++
    Lisa,

I do this everyday in my world for disaster recovery. On the box you want to restore TO, you need to create a backup device that points to the location of your backup on the primary server. When you add the device, click on the "+" sign and confirm that SQL Server can see it. If it can`t, you either pointed to the wrong place or you need to get with an NT security person.

Then, get into the restore database screen, specify the database you want to restore and click on the "from device" and pick the backup device you created that points to your backup.

That should do it.........Craig