Thread: ODBC v3.6 problems post NT SP 4

Damon McKay Guest

ODBC v3.6 problems post NT SP 4

I appear to be having problems with the SQL ODBC driver v3.6 installed by NT SP 4. The most obvious of which is heavy use of tempdb by my reporting application despite having "Do not generate temp SP's" option selected in the ODBC admin.

Are there any workarounds for this problem (other than having a 500mb tempdb) or can/how can, I revert to ODBC v2.65 which worked perfectly. Can I revert Instcat.sql and do I need to download Mdac ?? This is increasingly an issue due to manufacturers shipping hardware with SP4 installed. TIA

Tony Dominello Guest

ODBC v3.6 problems post NT SP 4 (reply)

If it is at all practical, I would use MDAC. The "Ease of use" factor is very high and we've had no trouble with backward-compatibility.

Two things to remember, though. First off, I'd suggest using the file "mdac_typ.exe" available from the Microsoft Website as it's a much quicker and easier install. Second, remember to download and install DCOM95 if you have any Win95 machines which need to use MDAC.

------------
    Damon McKay at 5/10/99 4:14:21 AM

I appear to be having problems with the SQL ODBC driver v3.6 installed by NT SP 4. The most obvious of which is heavy use of tempdb by my reporting application despite having "Do not generate temp SP's" option selected in the ODBC admin.

Are there any workarounds for this problem (other than having a 500mb tempdb) or can/how can, I revert to ODBC v2.65 which worked perfectly. Can I revert Instcat.sql and do I need to download Mdac ?? This is increasingly an issue due to manufacturers shipping hardware with SP4 installed. TIA