Thread: Sever Rebooting

Kevin G. Guest

Sever Rebooting

I have a SQL Server (6.5, no sps) running on NT4 that will occasionally reboot itself. It worked for the last two months just fine and then it rebooted twice about 4 days apart over the last 2 weeks. Does anyone know what may have caused this to happen? Thanks, Kevin.

Brett Montgomery Guest

Sever Rebooting (reply)

Kevin, are there any errors in the SQL logs or the NT logs?

------------
    Kevin G. at 5/5/99 3:04:38 PM

I have a SQL Server (6.5, no sps) running on NT4 that will occasionally reboot itself. It worked for the last two months just fine and then it rebooted twice about 4 days apart over the last 2 weeks. Does anyone know what may have caused this to happen? Thanks, Kevin.

Kevin G. Guest

Server Rebooting (reply)

Brett,
    It rebooted again last night. I checked the NT Event Log today and the SQL Error Log. I saw only Informational messages in the NT Event Log which were related to different services starting. There was not any messages in the SQL Error Log that indicated why the server rebooted. I also found out that we do have ARCServe Loaded on this server. Thanks.

------------
    Kevin G. at 5/5/99 3:48:41 PM

I will have to check with my boss. I think he said he did not notice any error messages. I will double check. Each time it has happen with him. I will find out if he checked the SQL logs or NT logs. Thanks.

------------
    Brett Montgomery at 5/5/99 3:24:36 PM

Kevin, are there any errors in the SQL logs or the NT logs?

------------
    Kevin G. at 5/5/99 3:04:38 PM

Brett Montgomery Guest

Server Rebooting (reply)

Kevin,
    This is hard to say what has happened. I would think that if the server were having some conflict with SQL, there would probably be an error message in the SQL log. I also think that if ArcServer was causing an error, it would report it to the application log of NT. If the server had a problem, it should write something to the System log. How long ago did you put ArcServe on this server? Does it come close to the time this started? What changed? Did you upgrade ArcServe? I currently run ArcServe 6.6, but not on my server. I only have the SQL Client loaded. You said before that you do not have a SP loaded for SQL. Any reason why? You will need SP5a to be Y2K ready. Any ways, back to the issue. Does the SQL server log show if the backup was running on the server when it crashed? Look at the times the SQL log reports it going down and what ArcServe is doing. Does this server host any other apps or programs? Is it the PDC?

------------
    Kevin G. at 5/6/99 3:28:55 PM

Brett,
    It rebooted again last night. I checked the NT Event Log today and the SQL Error Log. I saw only Informational messages in the NT Event Log which were related to different services starting. There was not any messages in the SQL Error Log that indicated why the server rebooted. I also found out that we do have ARCServe Loaded on this server. Thanks.

Cindy Guest

Server Rebooting (reply)

You might want to start a SQL Trace log to capture the last sql query sent to see if it happens around the same time as the reboot.

Also, try running a Perf Mon log - see if you have a memory leak or are maxing out on IO or CPU just before the reboot. Perhaps you have a hardware problem. Are there hardware diagnostics you can run?

------------
    Brett Montgomery at 5/7/99 2:28:42 PM

Kevin,
    This is hard to say what has happened. I would think that if the server were having some conflict with SQL, there would probably be an error message in the SQL log. I also think that if ArcServer was causing an error, it would report it to the application log of NT. If the server had a problem, it should write something to the System log. How long ago did you put ArcServe on this server? Does it come close to the time this started? What changed? Did you upgrade ArcServe? I currently run ArcServe 6.6, but not on my server. I only have the SQL Client loaded. You said before that you do not have a SP loaded for SQL. Any reason why? You will need SP5a to be Y2K ready. Any ways, back to the issue. Does the SQL server log show if the backup was running on the server when it crashed? Look at the times the SQL log reports it going down and what ArcServe is doing. Does this server host any other apps or programs? Is it the PDC?

------------

Brett,

Kevin G Guest

Server Rebooting (reply)

Brett, thanks for the feedback. There is nothing in the sql error log or the nt event log. You mentioned a System Log. Is this log the same as the sql error log or the nt event log? ArcServe has been on the server for a while. We are currently not using it. It does not coincide with the server rebooting. We are going to load SP5a within the next two weeks. This sever is not a PDS and it has a couple of VB5/ADO apps running on it along with pcAnyWhere. We have put sometype of hardware monitor (Insight) on the Network card to see if it will shed some light on this situation. Thanks, Kevin.

------------
    Brett Montgomery at 5/7/99 2:28:42 PM

Kevin,

------------

Brett,

Brett Montgomery Guest

Server Rebooting (reply)

Good Luck with the research.

When I talked about the system log, I was refering to the NT event log. Since the Application log and System logs report different things, I have just gotten to the place where I identify them sperately, sorry.
    If you are not using ArcServe, disable the properties in the control panel. It is not much, but no sence in running services that you are not using. Let me know what happens with the research. I currently do not run PC Anywhere on my server, but did in the past. I do not think that it would be the problem child, but running with the other thing??? (Besides, being a SQL guy, I always like to blame the other products
    Good luck and email me directly if you do not update this posting for a few weeks.

Brett

------------
    Kevin G at 5/10/99 9:35:48 PM

Brett, thanks for the feedback. There is nothing in the sql error log or the nt event log. You mentioned a System Log. Is this log the same as the sql error log or the nt event log? ArcServe has been on the server for a while. We are currently not using it. It does not coincide with the server rebooting. We are going to load SP5a within the next two weeks. This sever is not a PDS and it has a couple of VB5/ADO apps running on it along with pcAnyWhere. We have put sometype of hardware monitor (Insight) on the Network card to see if it will shed some light on this situation. Thanks, Kevin.