Thread: Space Usage

Bob Guest

Bulk Copy out of SQL Table

I need to export data out of an sql database using the SQLOLE object
    in visual basic.
    I have no idea how to even begin how to do this.

Glenn Ray Guest

Space Usage

I've had the luxury of using MS SQL Server for years on servers that had plenty of space, so I never really had to worry about how much space the data was taking up. Now I'm in a different situation where I'm paying good money for SQL Server disk space and I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed that data in SQL Server uses a LOT more space than other databases like mySQL or even MS Access (shudder).

I recently exported data from a bulletin board previously running on mySQL, taking up about 4MB of space, to SQL Server 2000 and it balloons to about 26MB! Just for kicks I exported the data from SQL Server to MS Access 2000 and it results in a mdb file of only 1.3MB! I know there's a lot going on under the hood with SQL Server but that's an awfully big difference.

I'm not debating any issues of which db is better suited for what... I use SQL Server all the time on the job. However, I am disturbed by its apparent disregard of disk space when it comes to storing the data itself.

Does anybody else have issues with this?

MAK Guest

Space Usage (reply)

You should also compare the functionality and features with other databases.
    [for example no triggers,replication,DTS etc in access.]

Also check whether your .mdf file is bigger or .ldf file. U can always shrink the databases.

-MAK

------------
    Glenn Ray at 5/27/2002 6:19:39 PM

I've had the luxury of using MS SQL Server for years on servers that had plenty of space, so I never really had to worry about how much space the data was taking up. Now I'm in a different situation where I'm paying good money for SQL Server disk space and I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed that data in SQL Server uses a LOT more space than other databases like mySQL or even MS Access (shudder).

I recently exported data from a bulletin board previously running on mySQL, taking up about 4MB of space, to SQL Server 2000 and it balloons to about 26MB! Just for kicks I exported the data from SQL Server to MS Access 2000 and it results in a mdb file of only 1.3MB! I know there's a lot going on under the hood with SQL Server but that's an awfully big difference.

I'm not debating any issues of which db is better suited for what... I use SQL Server all the time on the job. However, I am disturbed by its apparent disregard of disk space when it comes to storing the data itself.

Does anybody else have issues with this?

Jobi Guest

Space Usage (reply)

- First of all use dbreindex to optimize your clustering index.
    - use DBCC UPDATEUSAGE to let it calculate the right statistics.
    - use sp_spaceused to show how mutch it is using
    - if your concern is filesize, you could shrink your db-files after the previous steps.