Thread: Backups

Tom Guest

Backups

For a lot of smaller/medium sized systems that I administer, I tend to use SQL Server to backup to a backup device and then let the normal system backups backup the dump files to tape.

However, I am taking on a new system with approx 900Gb of data. We dont want to buy another 900Gb of disk to secure the databases ! I have found the SQL Agents in Arcserve 2000 to be unreliable to say the least. (we dont want to stop the SQL Services either)

Would anyone recommend alternative software to backup large databases.

Thanks

Tom

Scott Thompson Guest

Backups (reply)

Have you looked into Compaq super DLT tape librarys? We have had luck using them to backup 250GB.

------------
    Tom at 8/22/01 9:15:38 AM

For a lot of smaller/medium sized systems that I administer, I tend to use SQL Server to backup to a backup device and then let the normal system backups backup the dump files to tape.

However, I am taking on a new system with approx 900Gb of data. We dont want to buy another 900Gb of disk to secure the databases ! I have found the SQL Agents in Arcserve 2000 to be unreliable to say the least. (we dont want to stop the SQL Services either)

Would anyone recommend alternative software to backup large databases.

Thanks

Tom