Thread: Truncate Log vs. NT Event Log

Kevin G. Guest

Truncate Log vs. NT Event Log

I want to experiment with setting the Truncate Log on Checkpoint option to True to see if this will lessen the chance of my transaction log running out of space. Before I do this I want to be sure that the Transaction Log is not tied to the NT Event Log, SQL Error Log, etc. For example, does the NT Event Log (or any other log) use the Transaction Log? Thanks, Kevin.

SteveS Guest

Truncate Log vs. NT Event Log (reply)

The tx log is not tied to any other server log. Be advised that trunc log on checkpoint will prevent point-in-time recovery of your database since only the last database dump can be restored (Any subsequent log dumps after a trunc log would be invalid.)
    -Steve

------------
    Kevin G. at 5/5/99 2:52:29 PM

I want to experiment with setting the Truncate Log on Checkpoint option to True to see if this will lessen the chance of my transaction log running out of space. Before I do this I want to be sure that the Transaction Log is not tied to the NT Event Log, SQL Error Log, etc. For example, does the NT Event Log (or any other log) use the Transaction Log? Thanks, Kevin.

Cindy Guest

Truncate Log vs. NT Event Log (reply)

The same warning about only being able to restore to the last full dump also applies to dumping with truncate_only or with no_log. You should always follow one of those commands with a full database dump to maximize your recovery options.

------------
    Kevin G. at 5/5/99 2:52:29 PM