Thread: Scheduled DTS Fails after Admin password change.

Karen Guest

Scheduled DTS Fails after Admin password change.

I am using SQL server 7, all service packs. We recently changed the NT Administrator password because of staffing changes. After doing so, I have 2 scheduled DTS job that are failing with an "unspecified error" -2147008507 (80074005). All other scheduled DTS packages succeed (about 20 other jobs including 1 DTS).

I have not found this error documented. I am assuming this has to do with the password change, but I have not been able to resolve it. The DTS packages run fine by hand (manually). I recreated the scheduled jobs several different ways but they still fail.

Any information on this is most appreciated! Thank-you!!

The full message is:

... DTSRun: Executing... DTSRun OnStart: Drop table [Intranet].[dbo].[tbl_phone_depts] Step DTSRun OnFinish: Drop table [Intranet].[dbo].[tbl_phone_depts] Step DTSRun OnStart: Create Table [Intranet].[dbo].[tbl_phone_depts] Step DTSRun OnFinish: Create Table [Intranet].[dbo].[tbl_phone_depts] Step DTSRun OnStart: Copy Data from Departments to [Intranet].[dbo].[tbl_phone_depts] Step DTSRun OnError: Copy Data from Departments to [Intranet].[dbo].[tbl_phone_depts] Step, Error = -2147008507 (80074005) Error string: Unspecified error Error source: Microsoft Data Transformation Services (DTS) Package Help file: sqldts.hlp Help context: 700 Error Detail Records: Error: -2147008507 (80074005); Provider Error: 0 (0) Error string: Unspecified error Error source: Microsoft Data Transformation Services (DTS) Package Help file: sqldts.hlp Help context: 700 Error: -2147467259 (80004005... Process Exit Code 1. The step failed.

Ray Miao Guest

Scheduled DTS Fails after Admin password change. (reply)

Is it package owner? If so, should make change in the package as well.

------------
    Karen at 4/17/2002 12:14:42 PM

I am using SQL server 7, all service packs. We recently changed the NT Administrator password because of staffing changes. After doing so, I have 2 scheduled DTS job that are failing with an "unspecified error" -2147008507 (80074005). All other scheduled DTS packages succeed (about 20 other jobs including 1 DTS).

I have not found this error documented. I am assuming this has to do with the password change, but I have not been able to resolve it. The DTS packages run fine by hand (manually). I recreated the scheduled jobs several different ways but they still fail.

The full message is:

... DTSRun: Executing... DTSRun OnStart: Drop table [Intranet].[dbo].[tbl_phone_depts] Step DTSRun OnFinish: Drop table [Intranet].[dbo].[tbl_phone_depts] Step DTSRun OnStart: Create Table [Intranet].[dbo].[tbl_phone_depts] Step DTSRun OnFinish: Create Table [Intranet].[dbo].[tbl_phone_depts] Step DTSRun OnStart: Copy Data from Departments to [Intranet].[dbo].[tbl_phone_depts] Step DTSRun OnError: Copy Data from Departments to [Intranet].[dbo].[tbl_phone_depts] Step, Error = -2147008507 (80074005) Error string: Unspecified error Error source: Microsoft Data Transformation Services (DTS) Package Help file: sqldts.hlp Help context: 700 Error Detail Records: Error: -2147008507 (80074005); Provider Error: 0 (0) Error string: Unspecified error Error source: Microsoft Data Transformation Services (DTS) Package Help file: sqldts.hlp Help context: 700 Error: -2147467259 (80004005... Process Exit Code 1. The step failed.

Karen Guest

Yes, Ray, Thank-you. I did try that. The one that's working looks identical to the two that are not in all respects but the actual task performed. The ones that do not work are importing from an Access database, the one that works is importing from a text file. I will try recreating the DTS next.

------------
    Ray Miao at 4/17/2002 1:28:30 PM

Is it package owner? If so, should make change in the package as well.

------------

The full message is:

Tom Guest

Karen - Maybe the SQL Service Agent is starting with the Admin login and old password. Go to NT services and see which login is being used for that service. If it is using the Administrator login, change the password. This could explain why the DTS works manually by not scheduled.

------------

The full message is:

Karen Guest

Hi Tom, The agent starts with the system account. No specific account is specified. And I do have about 20 other jobs that run fine.

So I played with this. I changed the agent to startup under the admin login, and the 2 erroneous jobs now work. For fun, I tried the one that was working, and now it fails. I can't win here! Now I'm hoping that the other 20 jobs won't fail tonight!

There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to this. I've checked services, odbc's, logins, job schedules, job owners, I've recreated the jobs, I've checked permissions of all files and servers involved, and I've searched the web all day. Tomorrow I will be back on this trying to resolve the job(s) that do not run tonight.

------------
    Tom at 4/17/2002 4:06:11 PM

Karen - Maybe the SQL Service Agent is starting with the Admin login and old password. Go to NT services and see which login is being used for that service. If it is using the Administrator login, change the password. This could explain why the DTS works manually by not scheduled.

------------

The full message is:

Karen Guest

Hi Tom, thanks for your help. The owner is a nt/sql admin account -SQLAdmin. I got lucky last night and everything worked. The one that stopped working somehow lost the destination mapping in the DTS. After I reset that, it ran fine. So I think that I'm in good shape for now. Still makes no sense that 2 out of 25 jobs did not run after the password change.
    Question: Do you have a password on sa?

Thanks to all for their input!!

------------
    Tom at 4/17/2002 4:46:23 PM

Karen - When you open the Job, who is the owner of the job? I always leave this field to sa, but maybe selecting Administrator might make a difference.

------------
    Karen at 4/17/2002 4:33:54 PM

Hi Tom, The agent starts with the system account. No specific account is specified. And I do have about 20 other jobs that run fine.

So I played with this. I changed the agent to startup under the admin login, and the 2 erroneous jobs now work. For fun, I tried the one that was working, and now it fails. I can't win here! Now I'm hoping that the other 20 jobs won't fail tonight!

There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to this. I've checked services, odbc's, logins, job schedules, job owners, I've recreated the jobs, I've checked permissions of all files and servers involved, and I've searched the web all day. Tomorrow I will be back on this trying to resolve the job(s) that do not run tonight.

------------
    Tom at 4/17/2002 4:06:11 PM

------------

The full message is: