Thread: Tempdb transaction log filling up

Jim Gaull Guest

Tempdb transaction log filling up

We have a stored procedure that uses temp tables and must gather a lot of data. When we stress test this stored procedure, the tempdb transaction log fills up.

We tried using "Select Into" for our tables. That caused us not to write to the transaction log but it caused problems because it locked up sysobjects.

Is there some other way not to write to the transaction log?

IVO Guest

Tempdb transaction log filling up (reply)

Hi Jim
    I think you should write here your query (if it is not 1000 lines of code long ), but I think you should expand tempdb database if possible. I think also that problem is not in logging data by SQLserver, but in the query, there must be a place where you run long logged query (for example update) on the huge table. You should rewrite those places to use cursors ...

------------
    Jim Gaull at 8/2/01 5:59:15 PM

We have a stored procedure that uses temp tables and must gather a lot of data. When we stress test this stored procedure, the tempdb transaction log fills up.

We tried using "Select Into" for our tables. That caused us not to write to the transaction log but it caused problems because it locked up sysobjects.

Is there some other way not to write to the transaction log?