Thread: ArcServe versus BackupExec

Shivaji Guest

ArcServe versus BackupExec

We currently use CA ArcServe (ArcServe 6.5 Enterprise and Single Server Editions) to backup our Windows NT files and MS-SQL Server databases. We have experienced significant reliability issues with ArcServe. Many times we have found ourselves rebuilding a corrupt ArcServe Job (ArcServe’s backup schedule) database. One of our NT server occasionally NT bug checks when ArcServe is performing backups. Occasionally ArcServe Jobs incorrectly reschedule themselves. Sometimes the Jobs do not complete but stay executing, not performing any work, and to cancel them may require a lot of effort. The ArcServe job DB repair utility generally does not work. The user interface is lacking. For example, the job scheduling options are very limited. CA tech support for this product has been poor. Because we have issues with ArcServe stability we are now evaluating Veritas (formally Seagate) Backup Exec for NT. What are other people’s experiences with these 2 products?

Lynn Guest

ArcServe versus BackupExec (reply)

I've been using BackupExec Enterprise with the SQL agent for a couple of years. I have not had any trouble and have successfully restored the Master database as well as user databases, in addition to restoring to an entirely different sql server. The agent lets you do both transaction log backups and full database backups (however you can't do both during one "job&#34. Backup Exec and the tape device is installed on my pdc. The sql server is a member server. I do get an application error in the event log on the pdc stating that backup exec could not log on to the sql server. I'm not sure if this is generated because we are using standard, not integrated security on the sql server, or if it has to do with our default net library not being named pipes. But, since I have tested the restore process several times, I'm confident it's ok.

------------
    Shivaji at 6/21/99 11:41:21 AM

We currently use CA ArcServe (ArcServe 6.5 Enterprise and Single Server Editions) to backup our Windows NT files and MS-SQL Server databases. We have experienced significant reliability issues with ArcServe. Many times we have found ourselves rebuilding a corrupt ArcServe Job (ArcServe’s backup schedule) database. One of our NT server occasionally NT bug checks when ArcServe is performing backups. Occasionally ArcServe Jobs incorrectly reschedule themselves. Sometimes the Jobs do not complete but stay executing, not performing any work, and to cancel them may require a lot of effort. The ArcServe job DB repair utility generally does not work. The user interface is lacking. For example, the job scheduling options are very limited. CA tech support for this product has been poor. Because we have issues with ArcServe stability we are now evaluating Veritas (formally Seagate) Backup Exec for NT. What are other people’s experiences with these 2 products?