Thread: Replicating data across servers

Wayne Guest

Replicating data across servers

We have a database that I would like to replicate on another server but am unable to use regular replication via publish/subscribe due to the fact that the production database has no primary keys on tables, only clustered indexes. The backup db needs to be as close to real-time synchronized as possible and will be in fairly active use most of the time. Has anyone had success in developing such a system? How did you do it and what are the pitfalls? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    W.

Davy Guest

Replicating data across servers (reply)

Hi,

My only advice would be to run batch jobs on your source server that BCP's data to the target server. THIS WILL IMPACT SERVER PROCESSING so beware it will slow down.

Other than the above...Add PK's or unique counter values and replicate.

There is a product called OCTOPUS on the market that replicates, but I don't know how it works.

------------
    Wayne at 6/17/99 8:19:43 PM

We have a database that I would like to replicate on another server but am unable to use regular replication via publish/subscribe due to the fact that the production database has no primary keys on tables, only clustered indexes. The backup db needs to be as close to real-time synchronized as possible and will be in fairly active use most of the time. Has anyone had success in developing such a system? How did you do it and what are the pitfalls? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    W.