Thread: Anti-virus software

Ken Proctor Guest

Anti-virus software

We are new to SQl Server and the NT environments we work on don't have any anti virus software installed. This concerns me. I was wondering how typical it is to install anti-virus software on SQLServer machines, and whether there are any problems associated (e.g. performance degradation) with installing software. We would be most likely to install Dr Solomons. Any comments/shared experiences would be appreciated.

Tim Henning Guest

Anti-virus software (reply)

We use Norton Anti-virus and it seems to do the trick. I have not heard of any specific viruses that attack SQL Servers. If your databases are not locked down as far as permissions, someone could do some damage that way. Some people have gained access by sifting through the Dr. Watson logs.

Also, I remember something about checking the permissions for the shell commands. You don't want someone to be able to run del *.* on the root.

Let me know if you come across more info.

tim

------------
    Ken Proctor at 6/24/99 5:20:26 AM

We are new to SQl Server and the NT environments we work on don't have any anti virus software installed. This concerns me. I was wondering how typical it is to install anti-virus software on SQLServer machines, and whether there are any problems associated (e.g. performance degradation) with installing software. We would be most likely to install Dr Solomons. Any comments/shared experiences would be appreciated.