Thread: Replication and Firewalls

Chris Moix Guest

Replication and Firewalls

I need to enable replication between two databases. My problem is that they are on different sides of a firewall. I`m not a firewall expert, but from what I understand, normal SQL replication won`t work because MS SQL 6.5 port hops when using named pipes/RPC ( we need to lock it down to a specific TCP port/ports). We have tried character based replication through ODBC, with poor results. I was wondering if there is any way around this problem. Are there any third party replication products for MS SQL 6.5 that might be configurable this way?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aaron Harte Guest

Replication and Firewalls (reply)

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I am have similar situation.

------------
    Chris Moix at 10/15/98 4:24:45 PM

I need to enable replication between two databases. My problem is that they are on different sides of a firewall. I`m not a firewall expert, but from what I understand, normal SQL replication won`t work because MS SQL 6.5 port hops when using named pipes/RPC ( we need to lock it down to a specific TCP port/ports). We have tried character based replication through ODBC, with poor results. I was wondering if there is any way around this problem. Are there any third party replication products for MS SQL 6.5 that might be configurable this way?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.