Thread: Stored Procedure

Bruce Clark Guest

Stored Procedure

I have a table that I need to scan for updated information, and, if the data has changed, issue a report of those changes. Also, I need to scan for what changes have been effected - so that I will have multiple reports based on what/how the data has changed (and I have no idea how!).

Question 1: Is a stored procedure the best/only way to go (rules looked like the way to go, but I believe I can only have 1 rule per table(?)).

Question 2: How to output the data? Can I output the data into a table after each result is returned from the stored procedure or do I have to wait until all the results are returned? Can I return the results to a spreadsheet or something on the order of Crystal Reports?

Question 3: As I need this to occur daily, can I simply run it (whatever it is) as a scheduled task?

Question 4: Can I receive an email of the resulting output?

Since Chrismas is coming soon, I won`t ask for anything else (well maybe a Cubs pennant, but that`s probably too much!).

Thank you very much for your consideration and assistance.

Bruce Clark

FREDDY Guest

Stored Procedure (reply)

Hi,

This is a situation where a trigger would be best. You can set a trigger on inserts, updates and deletes.
    You can also capture the information being changed or added. (Deleted, Inserted)

Hope this helps..

Freddy.

On 9/25/98 1:00:14 AM, Bruce Clark wrote:
    > I have a table that I need to scan for updated information, and, if the
    > data has changed, issue a report of those changes. Also, I need to scan for
    > what changes have been effected - so that I will have multiple reports
    > based on what/how the data has changed (and I have no idea
    > how!).

Question 1: Is a stored procedure the best/only way to go (rules
    > looked like the way to go, but I believe I can only have 1 rule per
    > table(?)).

Question 2: How to output the data? Can I output the data
    > into a table after each result is returned from the stored procedure or do
    > I have to wait until all the results are returned? Can I return the results
    > to a spreadsheet or something on the order of Crystal Reports?

Question
    > 3: As I need this to occur daily, can I simply run it (whatever it is) as a
    > scheduled task?

Question 4: Can I receive an email of the resulting
    > output?

Since Chrismas is coming soon, I won`t ask for anything else
    > (well maybe a Cubs pennant, but that`s probably too much!).

Thank you
    > very much for your consideration and assistance.

Bruce Clark