Thread: About Database Design and Rights

Hybrid View

About Database Design and Rights

Although little experienced I understand that one can give users different rights of access to the database and tables within. Asume I maintain an application for different departments with equal functionality and their own users. Do I need to use different databases for this or can I arrange it such that rights are granted on different sets of data? Each set distinct and inaccessible for eachother.

It would be the otherway around to ask if I 'have my own' database when I use an internet service for my financial administration or HRM-data. Or is data from several clients, combined in one database.

What is the key insight here? And . . . is there difference in for example SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, etc.?

Thanks in advance,

André

Short answer...... SQL Server for example..... If you have many users you create GROUPS.

You modify each Group to have Read Only or Read/Write or Full blown Admin Level access.

You can adjust different sections of the database for each group as needed.

@Steve R Jones

You write 'You can adjust different sections of the database for each group as needed.'

Those sections can be records and not tables as a whole?

Quote Originally Posted by eengebruiker View Post
    Although little experienced I understand that one can give users different rights of access to the database and tables within. Asume I maintain an application for different departments with equal functionality and their own users. Do I need to use different databases for this or can I arrange it such that rights are granted on different sets of data? Each set distinct and inaccessible for eachother.

It would be the otherway around to ask if I 'have my own' database when I use an internet service for my financial administration or HRM-data. Or is data from several clients, combined in one database.uno online
    What is the key insight here? And . . . is there difference in for example SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, etc.?

Thanks in advance,

André
    using an internet service for your financial administration or HRM-data, it depends on the service provider. Some service providers may combine data from several clients in one database, while others may maintain separate databases for each client.

There may be differences in how different database management systems (DBMS) handle user access rights. For instance, SQL Server, Oracle, and MySQL have different ways of managing user access rights. However, the basic principles of granting different levels of access to different users or groups of users remain the same across different DBMS.