Thread: How precisely are parameters set and used in datasets in SSRS?

Hybrid View

How precisely are parameters set and used in datasets in SSRS?

Am I the only one to notice some strange glitches with this software tool? I think not. I remember finding someone online describe a problem where he got an unusual error and the way he fixed the issue was that he simply created a new report from scratch and recreate all the objects and settings in the report. It was concluded that what caused the error was that "if there is a lot going on in visual studio, sometimes the SSRS report will get confused". It seems that if repeatedly add and delete content, remnants of what was added lingers hidden in the code.

The problem I am having is with a date time class. In the end, the report will have a data driven subscription where the current date is sent to the report as a parameter and this will cause the datasets to generate the proper queries of the database because it the "rundate" variable will be used in a WHERE clause.

How precisely are parameters set and used in datasets in SSRS? I have declared rundate as a parameter on the main report. I have set it to have a default value. So, I assume, I do not have to declare it in the datasets of the report and I assume that I do not have to initialize it to any value. Am I wrong?

I get errors and warnings when I update the dataset queries and click on OK. I maybe I am wrong. Please advise.

In SSRS, parameters are used to provide dynamic values to a report. They can be set in the report's dataset queries, as well as in other parts of the report such as filters, expressions, and data regions.

When you set a parameter in a dataset query, the parameter is used in the WHERE clause of the query to filter the data returned by the query. The parameter's value is passed to the query when the report is executed, and the query uses that value to filter the data.

To use a parameter in a dataset query, you need to declare the parameter in the query, and then use the parameter in the WHERE clause of the query. For example, if you have a parameter named "rundate" that you want to use in a query, you would declare the parameter in the query like this:

DECLARE @rundate datetime

Then you can use the parameter in the WHERE clause of the query like this:

WHERE some_date_column = @rundate

It is not necessary to initialize the parameter before you use it in the query, as the parameter will be passed a value when the report is executed.

Regarding the problem you are having, it could be that the remnants of the previous content you added and deleted are causing conflicts in the code. It's also possible that there is an issue with

Are parameters in SSRS datasets automatically initialized with default values when declared on the main report?