Thread: Database backup and recovery comparison

Question Database backup and recovery comparison

Hello,

I am working on a school thesis and was wondering If you could help me.

My thesis is about comparing database backup and recovery features of different DBMS. I am focusing on oracle, mssql, mysql and postgresql.

I have come up with criteria for the comparison, but I need sub criteria. I will write here what I already have and please feel free to tell me what you would change or add.

Criteria:

Suport for online backup. Sub criteria: Requires manual locking(warm backup). Has locking done automatically. Doesnt need locking(hot backup).

Supports full, differential and incremental backup. Sub criteria: Supports none. Supports only full. Supports also differential. Supports also incremental.

Supports backup compression. Sub criteria: Doesnt support it. Supports it. Lets you pick how much compression you want. Lets compress all the backups automatically.

Supports backup encryption Sub criteria: The same like with compression, because I didnt think of anything better.

Support for point in time recovery Sub criteria: PITR isnt possible. PITR is possible. DBMS has a tool that makes PITR easier. And I need possibly one more sub criteria for this.

Supports partial backup Sub criteria: I am not sure here. It could be how partial it is for example can I backup only a tablespace, table or a column. Or I know that some DBMS support differential backups even for partial backups, so maybe that would be better.

DBMS has a tool that helps DBA to fulfill backup retention and redundancy policies Sub criteria: Also not sure about this one. I wanted the criteria to be something like "having a backup repository" but as far as I know only Oracle has that, but maybe I am wrong. Some tools that would help DBA with managing backups and picking the right one when needed.

Support for database rewind instead of backup and recovery Sub criteria: No idea here

I will really appreciate your input on any of these. I would like to have 4 sub criteria for every criteria. I am very inexperienced when it comes to this. So its possible that something flat out doesnt make sense. Please tell me.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Support for object level recovery, e.g. restore one table or stored procedure.