Thread: Transactional Replication - multiple databases

Hybrid View

Transactional Replication - multiple databases

Hi
    I have to setup Push Transactional replication between 2 servers (SQL Server), and the Publisher will also act as the Distributor.
    The publisher has about 50 databases that must all be replicated. The Subscriber will then be a readable secondary for reporting.
    My question is: For the configuration and after-setup maintenance, what is the best option for the Publication?
    -- Should I create One Publication with all the databases and all objects?
    -- OR Should I create a separate Publication for each database?
    -- Based on the number of Publications, should I have 1 or multiple distribution databases?

What is the best option, specifically to make maintenance and administration of Replication easier?

Create separate publications for each database. It is easier to maintain. Because anytime you make schema changes you only have to deal with that particular publication.
    I am not sure you can have more than one distribution database on the same server. Is data change volume high to require another distribution database?

Thank you for your reply
    It is quite a busy server with many data changing transactions. Perhaps I should just start off with a single distribution DB...