Thread: SQL Installation....Where do I begin?

Mike Ciotti Guest

SQL Installation....Where do I begin?

Hi All,

I am basically a newbie to networking. My manager gave me backoffice and said "here, install this".

I have NT and the service pack installed............but now I want to install SQL.........where do I begin?
    We are installing NT, and SQL etc on drive C: of the server, and the database (we use Goldmine for database software/contact management), is installed on drive D:
    anyone point me in the right direction????
    web pages, books, newsgroups...........any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanx In Advance.
    Mike Ciotti
    mciotti@usinfotel.com

Don Romano Guest

SQL Installation....Where do I begin? (reply)

I found the book Microsoft SQL Server V6.5 DBA Survival Guide good. (Sam`s Publishing). The `Unleashed` series are also usually pretty good.

Installing SQL Server is not difficult. My only initial suggestion would be to increase the size of the Master device from its default value and create a database device for tempdb to move the tempdb to.

If you want to actually have a dependable system that performs well you`re really going to have to read up on how to organize your database devices to be able to recover for hardware failures, etc..., etc... Everything depends on the characteristics of your application. A contact management system doesn`t sounds like it`s going to stress SQL Server too much.

Again... that book is pretty good.

Don