Thread: SAP with MS-SQL

tony wong Guest

SAP with MS-SQL

Does anyone use MS-SQL with SAP ? Is it stable ? Does Oracle work better with SAP ?

Don Romano Guest

SAP with MS-SQL (reply)

I don`t have any experience with SAP but according to their web site (which you probably already know) they started support for SQL Server 6.0 with R3 (assuming this is the SAP product you are talking about).

You might want to check out: http://www.sap.com/products/techno/index.htm under the database section for some white papers and other documents.

Of course, this is all marketing so I`ll leave it to someone else to give real life experience feedback. I only heard some rumor about some potential issues because MS SQL Server does not really support row level locking.

Whether you look at SQL Server vs. Oracle... it depends on what your business requirements are... the size of your installation. Oracle can run on almost anything and is probably still a more `tunable` database for performance. I`m not sure which one is more `stable` on NT for SAP, if that is what you are comparing. If SQL Server will handle the performace requirements than it will most certainly be less expensive in almost all ways.

Every seminar that I attend for SQL Server 7.0 keeps touting that SAP, Baan and Peoplesoft almost have veto power of it being released. That kind of gives a strong impression that it will be very stable with SAP if SAP has to bless it before it can be released.

Don

Esio Nunes Guest

SAP with MS-SQL (reply)

We are using the MSSQL Server 6.5 in our installation of the SAP R/3
    and we did not have no problem with the database. Proper R/3 puts in charge to check the database, being thus, the majority of the maintenance functions (DBCC) in charge of internal transactions of R/3 .

We prefered this for the fact of already have ample experience with this software (we know what it makes and what it does not make). We do not have great experience with Oracle, but as our installations are not great, the SQL Server is OK.

How much to the management, R/3 inside brings all its incorporated patterns of transactions and proper menus. If this interface with the Oracle is better or fuller, I do not know, but probably it gets excited as the database chosen. The archives of help of R/3 do not come with bracket to the SQL Server, then in specific cases, it prepares myself to look aid it are of the CD`S of R/3. The SAP supplies to courses all the platforms, in Brazil still does not supply the course of Managing R/3 in SQL Server, then I can not inform if it is more easy to manage in SQL Server the Oracle t . Probably, in great centers these courses already must be available.

On 8/19/98 4:40:51 PM, tony wong wrote:
    > Does anyone use MS-SQL with SAP ? Is it stable ? Does Oracle work better
    > with SAP ?