Thread: Getting started with a database

Getting started with a database

Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody could help me understand how to get started with SQL. I've been trying to run some basic SQL, such as create table, but haven't been very successful. It appears from the menu options and some google searching that I need to connect to some type of master database before I can create a table with SQL. I'm not sure I understand the concept and haven't been able to find any helpful information with my google searches, so I was hoping that someone experienced may be able to help me directly.

so my questions is, how to I create and connect to a master database so that I can hopefully get started playing around with SQL?

see the image below:

Untitled.pngUntitled.pngUntitled.png

Thank you!

To create db, you have to connect to db server first and the user you used needs proper permission. You can start with vendor manual of db server you are using (like Oracle or MS sql server or so).

Thank you for the reply rmiao,

I am still a little hazy on the concept. So, if I am understanding this correctly, the only way to utilize SQL is when the data is on a server? I cannot simply use SQL on a compatible database that I create through SQL code i.e. "CREATE DATABASE mydb;" and then begin adding tables and data? It is a little foreign to me, I am used to compiling python scripts and creating definitions or classes without any of these pre-requisites, but I suppose SQL is not a true programming language to begin with.

Yes you can as long as you connect to rdbms with proper permission as said above.